Monday, May 10, 2010

Sex,I mean,Saks ,therapy...not needed


I was at Saks Fifth Ave the other day with my hubs and daughter who were doing a photo shoot for the upcoming Fathers Day issue of Palm Springs Life Magazine.Brian was modeling, Mikaela was the photographer. I was watching the shoot from the shoe dept... When I began to notice the patrons of the shoe dept and their interactions with the sales folk. I watched as an older ,well dressed woman in her 60's strategized with the sales person. The fact that they both knew each other on a first name basis was my first clue ...The salesman explained to the second saleswoman"Ms Jenkins would like to put 500$ on her card on file and the rest on this personal card". Ms Jenkins apparently hoping to manipulate the cards so that whoever was in charge of paying them didn't see how much she was spending in the shoe dept. that day. They all smiled smugly,all -knowing. I realized that this was her therapy. Her "Saks Therapy".Her smile was clever and complicated, like a gambler who just won a slot machine.
I continued to observe this scene play out again and again, as I sat waiting for the photo shoot to end. These women were getting their 'fix', their 'hit' of momentary "happiness". ..I had to wonder, was I like that ,not so long ago? Before I had my spiritual awakening? Seeking meaning and fulfillment in shopping?
I've come a long way down this beautiful path.......no saks therapy needed.

3 comments:

  1. When did your spiritual awakening happen? Do you ever feel like you need a spiritual fix? I ask you this because I used to crave my spiritual experiences as much as I once had craved a Saks fix... or sugar fix... or...or ... or ...

    it kept me on my knees for hours at a time. But it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my awakening occured when I walked into a raging fire...it began in 2004,when I went to Burning man
    my spiritual fix is nature
    Im learning to incorporate prayer into my days.I had mocked the presence of a divinity for many years.This is my biggest obstacle,having been a Baptist(my granddaddy was a deacon),then becoming an atheist and being surrounded by them.The concept of a higher source was a challenge until I was soooo unhappy that something had to break.The break was me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb- I read your blog. Interesting perpective- one that I will perhaps never experience from a world very different than the one I travel in. But we share a link in our paths through the playa. I think we had similar spiritual awakenings there, but ones that started from different places and have taken each of us on wild, crazy ecstatic rides since then.

    enjoy your journey- namaste
    Chris in SLC

    ReplyDelete