Friday, January 8, 2010

People that make assumptions shouldnt throw insults

I thought that "The Four Agreements" was a book many people had read.Apparently not.I was verbally accosted by a man recently who said I called his wife"fat". Now, honestly, I have NEVER,EVER called anyone fat, not even my fat family members!I figure that everyone is exactly the way they are supposed to be at this moment in time, so I was taken aback by his attack. What I had said to her was " look at the watermelon you're carrying!". She was 8 months pregnant with twins! So, actually, she was carrying a very large fruit basket in her belly! As this was meant to be an endearment, she obviously didnt feel that way and she assumed I called her fat,well, thats what her husband told me, actually,it may have been him that made the assumption.. It was months later when her hubbie confronted me.He yelled at me and told me that I couldnt say anything "like that " to his wife because "she is very,very sensitive about her weight."HMMMM,...I was left wondering,who was more sensitive, him or her? She seems like a fairly strong woman, that would not be "upset" by a benign comment made with the intention of being sweet. It was a grand lesson for me that when people assume one thing, when you never implied anything, means they have an expectation for others to walk on glass,i.e, be aware of THEIR sensitivities, and respond "appropriately"to them. As a follower of The four agreements,I work hard at not only "not assuming" but also, at not taking things personally.I also try to be impeccable with my words and would never say anything that I felt would be hurtful or misunderstood.I learned a long time ago never to ask any woman"are you pregnant?" or "Is that your grandchild?"Alas, it is human nature for folks to create drama and suffering by assuming. It's probably selfish and egoic to expect everyone to empathize or identify with your issues/problems/difficulties.I'm certainly not suggesting that we do not extend kindness, compassion, and love towards others, just the opposite, we need to see others as a reflection of ourselves,"ANOTHER ME". But, we should try to avoid the desire for others to KNOW and feed into our sad stories or our "sensitivities".The point is to try to grow beyond your sad stories that tie you down into a state of suffering .When we resist letting go of our "sad stories/difficult times" ,we suffer. And, its human nature to want others to suffer with us. Lets all work on acceptance of what is,of others, of making mistakes, and work on NOT making assumptions or taking things personally.AND, not expecting other folks to know what our issues are. Stop being sensitive! There is always someone ,somewhere who has a much worse sad story than you,someone who is in more pain, or who has more loss.Whether you gain weight and feel "fat" or whether you are struggling financially, or have an illness.Work on a different story, change the words you use,i.e., a "difficult time" becomes "my most valuable lesson" or "my biggest struggle". Let the assumptions fall away, release your sad story, and suffering will be diminished.It's transformational and magic! BTW, here's a photo of me "fat" after delivering my 6lb "watermelon".

No comments:

Post a Comment